Saturday, June 30, 2007

labyrinthine



last night I had the pleasure of walking a labyrinth beneath the full moon deep in the Georgia woods. there were torches, and drumming, and even moon pies ( a Southern snack cake) to mark the occasion. my host reminded us of the distinction between labyrinths and mazes--the former having a single path (the way in is also the way out), ideal for peaceful (right-brain) concentration, the latter an intricate puzzle (left brain) where one can get easily lost, stuck, even trapped. so I've been thinking about the labyrinth, as way of meditation, as metaphor, as symbol, and have discovered much, including The Labyrinth Society, which holds annual gatherings.

I invite you share your labyrinth tales--or to engage in discovering one.

4 comments:

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

While I was attending Bennington for my MFA, two summers in a row, one of the recent grads came and built us a labyrinth with little bags full of candles. At night we lit it, walked it to the sound of drums...the first time he even brought, I kid you not, firedancers. Bennington's campus (Vermont) is very remote and feels entirely cut off from the rest of the world and the intensive experience of the residencies made these labyrinth experiences profound. Our final semester, my class set up the labyrinth and it was such an honor to give back...

Maryanne Stahl said...

how very cool. (I sensed you'd have a response to this!)

the bennington campus looks exquisite. I bet you sometimes miss it.

(new pic? love it!)

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Well, I also walked a labyrinth in Pisa, Italy :) A friend of mine was on a mission to walk all the labyrinths she could find, and when she found out about this one, she knew she had to go. There's a fabulous one in San Francisco at Grace Cathedral (I think that's what it's called) :)

How funny you sensed that I'd have one!

Liesl said...

Mmmm. I have a labyrinth story, but it isn't a happy one.

This is a good prompt.

Better write it.