Wednesday, August 19, 2009

half the sky



I love New York Times reporter Nick Kristof. He is deeply committed to investigating and writing about things that matter--to him, to all humans, to the planet-- whether they are issues of global importance or insights into the daily lives of people often unseen. Every time I read or listen to him I have renewed faith in humanity. (Whereas when I turn on the news and hear about the idiocies going on in town hall meetings across the country I want to tear out my hair! )

This week's Sunday Magazine features an article excerpted from his upcoming book, Half the Sky, written with his wife, Sheryl WuDunn, about the necessity of empowering women in the developing world. Kristof's thesis is that the central moral battle of the 21st century is against the brutality inflicted on women in developing nations. He tells a number of women's stories, horrifying and inspiring, about those who survived the most deplorable conditions and went on to make productive, even successful lives, often helping others. The smallest financial aid can turn a life around.

I'm thinking right now about what I can do.

Check out the article and perhaps enter the contest.

1 comment:

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks for posting this Maryanne. Beautiful. Thoughtful.